4.17.2011

Sundays seem to be our bad days

Our roller coaster continues. Today unfortunately we had another low. Pretty much at the top of my list of things I am really tired of seeing is my son's heart stopping. We were getting ready to leave, and were chatting with the nurse, and when I glanced at Andrew's monitor he had flat lined. The alarm is actually delayed a little bit from the wave form, but when I told the nurse that his pulse was zero, she jumped up, and as soon as she got there the alarms started going off. Andrew came back quickly, but had a very unsteady heart rate for a few minutes -- I had virtually no concept of time. It could have been 3 or 4 minutes or 10. Once they gave him a sedative, he stabilized. This likely indicates a seizure.

The truth is that neurologically Andrew is not doing well. Before last Sunday, when he heard my voice, he opened his eyes, and looked at me for a few long seconds. His eyes tracked my voice, and both moved together. He could grip my fingertip with his hand. He would move and respond to our touch. This week, sadly, he has been unresponsive to most of our interaction. His reflexes are almost non-existent, and when he does crack an eye open, he doesn't seem to be able to track us. It is very difficult to see him like this. His brain has just sustained too much injury. His infections seem to be improving, but new ones pop up. The aspergillus and pneumonia are the most concerning infections at the moment.

Ethan... well, he is doing better than Andrew, but our physician shared with us this week that while there is still a lot of hope that he will survive, his prognosis is not good. Her opinion is that he will be a severe care child, unable to take care of himself. That being said, there is still a slight possibility that he might be able to walk and talk and interact with us. Emily and I are clinging to that hope, but are willing to care for him for the rest of our lives if need be. Emily understands what that means a lot better than I do.

So people keep asking us how we are doing, and how our boys are doing. Its really hard for us to answer that question honestly and still be appropriate. Emily and I feel very much of the description in D&C 122:7. Truly, the "jaws of hell hath gaped open the mouth wide after [us]." What can we say? The past three weeks have been the sorest trial of our lives, and we have seen our share of trials like anyone else has on this earth.

That is the dark part. We all have our trials. And even though they are all different, no matter what trial we are facing, we need the Lord's help to get through it. None of us can make it without Father's mercy and grace. I believe that after Emily and I overcome this trial through our Savior's grace, we will be strengthened to a degree much beyond where we were before. When I watch my little boy suffer from pain, and I watch him stop breathing, or his heart rate crash; When they are beset with multiple infections, pneumonias, the most severe IVH's, or I see wounds on his chest from the fingernails of the nurse who did chest compressions to save his life, and in my heart I can still tell my Father how grateful I am to Him that he gave me my sons to have for these few short weeks, and that I trust in His will for what is best for us... well... How could I ever forsake Him? I love Him. He is my Father, and I know He loves me, and will act according to what is best for me, for my sweet wife, and my dear boys. I am not sure what tomorrow or tonight will bring, but I know that our God loveth his children (1 Ne 11:17). Truly, all is well when we cleave to our Savior in faith, regardless of the circumstances of our life.

I have found great comfort in some of the following scriptures:

D&C 121:1-2, 6 - 10
D&C 122:7-9
Mark 4:37-41
Mark 5:36
Mark 9:16-29
Matt 14:24-33
John 11:1 - 45, but especially 25 - 27, & 35
"An High Priest of Good Things to Come"

I thank my God for the covenants I've made in the temple.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your testimony...aren't we so blessed that we have this knowledge? I'm continually thinking about you guys and praying for you both and for your little boys that are fighting.

lisa said...

I was so grateful for your blog, even though i did cry like crazy reading about your babies suffering, i was so happy to hear how grateful you are for our heavenly father. I will keep your babies in my prayers. Love Lisa Nelson (Patrick's mom) PS i dont know if i ever told you Emily, but i had a stillborn preemie baby, she was 1 lb 14 oz, this has hit m really close to home.

Kurt and Kristy said...

What amazing strength you both have!! Thank goodness for the knowledge of the gospel! You will all be in our prayers!!

Carissa Briggs said...

My heart just ached as I read this today. I am so sorry for all you are going through. You are such a wonderful couple--I admire you guys very much. You are all in our prayers and we love you!

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with all of you! My heart is heavy for you as you endure this struggle in your lives. I've known Emily and her family for years and I'm not surprised at the testimony both of you have of the plan of salvation. I lost a grandson at 26 weeks and your posts bring back a lot of memories. Most of them centered around the gospel and the love the Lord has for His children. thank you for your testimonies and your deep love you have for your sons. Andrew and Ethan are blessed to have you as parents whether here on this earth or on the other side of the vail. I will pray for all of you to feel peace and comfort and continued knowledge of the love of your Savior and Redeemer. Sending lots of love and prayers. Melody Wright

Rebecca Adams said...

I, too, appreciate your testimony! My heart aches for you, but it's such a blessing to know that He has a plan for all of us! It's true that no matter what trial(s) we all may face, we will ALWAYS need the Lord's help!

Thanks for keeping your blog updated. I'm thinking about all of you!

Katie said...

My heartaches for your family too and your sweet boys...I will continue to pray for them. Best wishes, Katie (Mason) Johnston

Veda said...

Y'all continue to be in our thoughts & prayers!

Andrea said...

Thank you for your testimony. I am amazed by the faith of both of you. Your family continues to be in my prayers.

Mary said...

You and Emily are great examples. My heartaches at the down moments and rejoices on the up moments. Our prayers are with your family, especially your little boys.

Anonymous said...

I keep hoping things are going to get better for you, Emily. I miss you at school, and think about you every single day. But you are where you need to be. These precious boys are the most wonderful spirits on the earth. You are blessed to be their mother. And they are blessed to have you, too!

Thank you for sharing the blog with us. I cried for your trials. Life is so precious!
DeAnna Ball

Rodney and Cami said...

Thank you Stephen, We love you all and pray for you!

pj said...

I haven't said much as I don't know exactly what to say. Thank you for sharing and know that chuck and I have been with y'all in thoughts and prayers since the beginning. We pray for God to comfort you and let you know his will, to give y'all strength, to be with the boys and ease their way. I have no doubt that y'all will keep the faith and we send you lots and lots of hugs. If we were closer we'd be bringing food as well as hugs because that always seems to be the thing to do! Much love.

Anonymous said...

I have been praying harder than I have in a long time. My heart reaches out to you and your family. Em, I wish I could just give you a big hug right now, which would not be nearly enough. I cannot imagine what you are going through. Isn't it wonderful to know that Christ knows? I love you my dear friend. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.
Debbie (Edwards) Dunford