4.11.2011

A First for Mommy

I just have to laugh....I didn't realize that Stephen would be blogging as much as he is.  It's always been something that I've done, but lately he's much better at keeping things updated than I am. I guess it's a bit therapeutic for the both of us and a way for us to let everyone know what's happening,  without having to repeat ourselves a bunch of times. Again we are so grateful for the love and support we have been given and that is really what is keeping us going.
Last Friday, we made it through the first two weeks of being parents. These two weeks have seemed forever long... but we're making it day by day...literally. We had a huge milestone with Ethan on his two week birthday that has been such a treasure.  I hope that I can do this with my Andrew someday too. :)  I was able to hold him for the first time. It was such a surprise when they told us we could do this. I honestly thought that it would be a very long time before I'd be able to hold my babies in my arms.
Well, last Friday I got to hold Ethan for the first time. This was the best little birthday present I could have ever wished for. We did what they call "Kangaroo Care" where I held him skin to skin. I cherished this moment and could feel the strength of his little spirit fill my soul. I kept telling Stephen and the nurses that I could do this all day long. Of course they wouldn't let me hold him ALL day....but Ethan did let me hold him for about 45 minutes. During that time all of his vitals (breathing, oxygen level, heart rate, body temperature etc) were better than they had been all morning. Then he told us he was done and wanted to get back into his bed. I think I really needed this and it really energized my spirit and heart so much. It sometimes just kills me inside to see my boys laying there with so many wires, tubes, machines, and alarms going off. I feel very helpless as a mom, in what I can do for them. But this experience helped boost my spirits a bit.

On another note...
Here's a picture of one of their little diapers next to our  iphone. The funny part is that these diapers are too big for them and we have to fold them down.  Crazy I know!

Also, we are starting to learn a little bit about their personalities. Andrew, as sick as he is, has shown us what a sweet boy he is. He has opened his eyes when he hears his mom and dad and just looks at us. It truly melts my heart. He's also a very sensitive boy and any tweak the nurses try to make...he let's them know if he likes it or not. Sometimes I just have to smile at this. Ethan on the other hand is quite  the wiggle worm and any time they position him and get him all tucked in nice and tight. His arms and legs work their way out pretty quickly. Last night, he wiggled so much that his little hand pulled his feeding tube right out. Ethan also loves to make some funny faces. They make me laugh. Here's a few more pictures to enjoy!
My Monkey Boy! I just love this face!

Ethan Holding his Pacifier

First time I met my Ethan!

"holding" my sweetheart Andrew
First time I met my little Andrew!

Andrew taking a nap

6 comments:

Camille Herbst said...

I love these pictures! They are so sweet. We love your family!

Preds Girl said...

Emily, I am thinking of you and your sweet family and my prayers are always with you. I cannot even believe how strong you are through all of this--I admire you so much! I am sure it is heartbreaking to watch your little guys go through so much, but you are such a strong, faithful woman. I can hear your smile through your words in this post! I am sure your boys can hear it too. :-)

Sher said...

The picture of you holding Ethan brought tears to my eyes. It really does make it all worth it, and I'm not the least bit surprised that his vitals were so much better being next to mommy than ever before. You're doing great - hang in there!!

Unknown said...

Emily--I love you and admire you! Keep hanging in there and know that many people here and there are watching over you, Stephen and your boys!

Unknown said...

Okay--the last comment saying it is coming from Michael is from me--Marlene--so don't anyone worry when they see someone saying they just love Emily and a guys name as the posted commenter (I'm sure that is not spelled right). Since I share my husband's e-mail account it shows up under his name--I am sooo embarrassed!

candicetheresa said...

Oh friends. I just love you Emily. You are such a strong spirit, and were before this challenge. Now it must be like refiner's fire. My heart aches for my friend Emily and her husband Stephen. What a rollercoaster you have been on. We are praying for you and thinking of you. And we love you. Your boys are beautiful. It is so amazing to see these pictures and think about the huge spirits inside their tiny bodies. Please let me know what I can do! And: Happy Mother's Day Mother Emily.
Love,
Candice and Tim