4.24.2011

REALLY Hoping for a good Sunday!

So we are approaching today with some hope and excitement and a little trepidation and fear. In the past month, three of the four Sundays we've had huge set-backs which have threatened Andrew's life. We've decided that today is going to be a much better Sunday than the others have been :).
I pretty much only have good news to report, which is SO nice, let me tell you! Since the 20th, Andrew continued to stabilize bit by bit and yesterday he didn't have a single brady (where his heart rate crashes suddenly). He is also becoming a little more responsive, and is able to open his eyes, look at us, and even hold Emily's hand. He has also been doing very well on this ventilator, and has been weaned, little by little. We don't have a time frame for taking him off the ventilator, but we are moving in the right direction. He is about 2 lbs 14 oz, and he has began feeding again, getting 1 mL of Emily's milk every 3 hours! We are REALLY excited about that. It also appears that his infections are slowly going away. I think that he is beating them! Even the aspergillus! If he stays on this track, he will make it. What a miracle that will be!
Ethan is also doing well. He hasn't had any more spells where his heart rate drops, although he does occaisionally get very irritable! Yesterday he knocked off his CPAP, and boy did he ever fuss and cry while the nurse tried to get it back on! I used "containment" to try to comfort him, and it worked once we also let him take the pacifier. I'll tell you what, though -- for only weighing 2 lbs 12 oz, that kid is STRONG! He kept getting his arms loose, even though I was using as firm a touch as I felt comfortable. I know that it isn't good for him to get so worked up, but can I just admit that it warms my heart to hear him cry and see him fuss with so much strength? I can't wait until the day when I actually find his crying frustrating or annoying, because that will mean that I get to hear him often :). Oh, how we hope, pray and ache for that day!
So it might be a little funny to be so explicit, but can I share a couple specific things for which we have an interest in your prayers? So far, the greatest miracle of all is that they are both alive and actually making incremental improvements again. We are praying that their hydrocephalus diminishes, that Andrew will be made whole from his infections, that they will be able to breathe without ventilators, and after that without assistance. One really big thing that is very threatening to little premies is that NEC, so we are also praying that they will tolerate their feedings and eventually that Emily's milk will supply all of their nutrition. We also pray that they will be able to see, hear, speak, and swallow. Heck, even though I know its not possible medically, I can't stop praying that Heavenly Father will heal their brains and that they will live "normal" lives, although I always make sure to pray for his will above all.
I believe that the reason that Andrew is still alive is because of everyone's prayers. Thank you for your gifts of faith and prayer. They are priceless!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

So glad that things are going well!! What amazing little boys! We continue to pray for all of you! Hope you have a wonderful Easter Sunday.

Candice.kulbeth@gmail.com said...

I shouldn't read this before bed... I start to cry and can't relax and go to sleep! I am so, so thankful tonight I have happy tears. There is hope! Prayers work - hydrocephalus did its damage on Joshua, but he is leading a normal life. I am praying for the same miracle for your boys.

Stefanie Hathaway said...

Keep the faith! We are constantly praying for your boys and of course for both of you. You are clearly meeting your trials with faith stronger than sight. I was happy to see you both at church today, even though I didn't get to say hi :)

Karen and Adam said...

Hi Emily. I'm sure you don't remember me...Karen Krantz (now Jensen) from highschool. I had a mutual friend email a bunch of us to pray for you and she gave your blog address. I just wanted you to know that ever since I heard about everything, my husband and I have been praying constantly for your little family. Even as a dorky and shy highschooler, I looked up to you. But as I've read this, I've been overwhelmed and touched by the strength of a struggling little family who I truly don't even know. We are praying for you and aching for you and hoping for the very best for you.

Stacey said...

Fussy babies=healthy babies and that means he's getting strong. Such a good thing! I swear that mom's milk does amazing things for little NICU guys--I'm sure you'll see progress soon. We'll keep you guys in our prayers. We're so happy to hear some good progress news!!

Danielle said...

I can't believe what a struggle your sweet family is going through! We pray for you guys nightly and hope that all continues to improve. Love you guys.