4.04.2011

Our First Week

We've made it through a very long week with many ups and downs.  Words really can't express how we're feeling and everything we've gone through, but I'll try to do what I can. We are humbled to know that so many are praying for us. We have really felt the strength and overwhelming power of those many prayers that have been said in our family's behalf and want to thank you. I really think that is what has gotten us through this week.

Each day our boys are with us is a huge blessing and we're enjoying every minute we can spend with them.  Being born at 26 1/2 weeks they have so many challenges ahead of them. Basically in a nutshell, the doctors have been focusing on their major organs (heart, brain & lungs) as these are not fully developed at this young age. They are in very critical condition and will be for the next few weeks. We've learned very quickly that being in the NICU is a roller coaster with many ups and downs every day, hour and minute. We'll take all the ups we can get. Here's some great little miracles we've seen this week. Both boys had very unstable blood pressure the first few days of life. They both are now doing great with that and are totally off all their blood pressure medicine and are able to stabilize this all on their own. Yesterday, Ethan was able to breathe on his own and now has a less extreme ventilator. Instead of continuous support with rapid breaths, this new ventilator will let him do most of the work and support his lungs when he forgets to breathe on his own or when he's not getting enough oxygen with the breaths he's taking. Andrew is not far behind him and we hope that in the next day or so he'll be on the same type of ventilator. Both boys have lost quite a bit of weight and today Andrew weighed 1 lb 14 oz and Ethan was 1 lb and 12 oz. Because they have become a bit more stable the last few days, they both got their first feeding of my milk. It's a very tiny amount (1 ml every 6 hours)...but we're excited and hopefully some of their weight will come back soon!!! Although, there are a lot of complications that can happen when they introduce this milk, we're now praying that their digestive track can handle this. We've been told that feeding will be another big hurdle we have ahead of us.

As for me, I'm still trying to recover and wishing that this process would go much faster than it is. I'm still trying to take it easy, which is hard for me. I'm one who 'keeping busy' keeps my mind off of things. But I have a wonderful husband who is helping me so much and family who is so close.

 Here are a few pictures of our little warriors!
Andrew just relaxing before having his "cares" done
Andrew's tiny feet
 Ethan as he is getting ready to transfer hospitals

Stephen holding Ethan's Hand for the first time
We have noticed a few things to tell these little boys apart. Andrew has dark black hair and Ethan has lighter brown hair (although it's hard to see in pictures)...we'll see how this changes over time. Also, Ethan's toes are farther apart with a little space between two of them on each foot, where Andrew's toes are much closer together.  It's fun to see how each different nurse that works with them notices and comments on their different little features.

13 comments:

Mesia said...

oh emily! i had no idea...i pray these choice little spirits continue to stay strong! they are beautiful! congrats!!

lynsey said...

when i saw the title "our little boys are here" i thought, wait....isn't this a little early?? and oh my goodness, then i started to cry as i saw the pictures of your beautiful little boys. they were tears of joy that they are alive and doing well! i know very well the ups and downs of the NICU and i'm praying that they stay strong fighters!

you are an amazing & beautiful person and i know that heavenly father is aware of your trials. please keep updating your blog!

angelabvilla said...

Emily, your little guys are beautiful and I am praying for their continued steps to gain strength. You are loved and those little boys are choice spirits of our father in heaven. They just couldn't wait to jump into this world to bring the gospel to all. Love you!!

Preds Girl said...

Oh my word, Emily! I am so sorry you had such a scare and that you've had so many additional scary ups and downs.

You are such a trooper and such a great example to share your testimony of the Lord's hand in your lives.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Stephen, Ethan, and Andrew.

Camille said...

I've been thinking about you all week. I'm so happy for you to have your two babies, I just wish they could've waited a little longer. I can't imagine what you're going through, but know that my family's thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Love you Emily! - Camille

Elise said...

Emily! You and Stephen are amazing to be surviving all this. Time must seem to be just creeping by! We have been praying lots for you, and I think about you and the babies often. I'm so glad they're hanging in there. You just keep doing the same! Love ya!

pj said...

It is so wonderful to see these pictures of Andrew and Ethan! I love the one with Stephen holding Ethan's hand! It also shows just how tiny they really are! A continuing miracle. Much love to you all.

Tami said...

Emily,
I am so glad you gave us the blog address! Thank you! My girls were born at 29 weeks and I understand how scary this time can be. They are doing fine and they suffered very few, minor heath problems that are with them today. Your boys are beautiful. Our prayers are all with you and your family.
Hugs! Tami

Tahlia said...

Congrats on your sweet boys! It was such a surprise to run into you at Culver's. I'm sure custard can help (slightly) with some of the ups and downs you're facing. :o) This will be a long road, but I know that the Lord loves you and your boys and wants you to be happy. This period of growth will be hard for them (physically) and for you and your husband(spiritually). We care about you and would be happy to help in any way.

On a different note, I've started making freezer meals since your MBASA night last year. I love them! Thanks for teaching me.

patricksnelson said...

Stephen and Emily,
Ethan and Andrew are so cute! Tell them to keep fighting and hang in there. Take care of yourselves know that hundreds of BYU friends are hoping and praying for you!

Rachlen said...

I am glad to hear the those sweet boys continue to get stronger by the day. What precious little one. I hope they continue on the same path. Take care of yourself as well. Remember that you are recovering too. I love you and my prayers are with you all.

Melissa Nelson said...

Emily, This is Patricks mom, Lisa. I was so surprised to hear you had your sweet boys early. I will keep them in prayers. I had a baby at 27 weeks and patrick was born at 31 weeks. I have a gift for you from Patrick. If you have a chance( which I am sure you are busier than ever, I know i was when I had a baby in the NICU) Please call me. Love Lisa and Patrick. PS Patrick wanted me to tell you, that he and his class misses you. my email is mandmnelson@msn.com

Linda said...

Emily, we all miss you at school and the children were so excited to hear about the babies. My prayers are with your little guys every night. Stephanie is doing a great job. This was Anikas last day as they are moving to Neveda. We put her writing booklet together for her. Your boys are very special and 'I KNOW THEY WILL GROW AND FLOURISH.'