I couldn't believe how fast the big day came. We'd been talking about school and riding the bus for months. We had been there a few times for evaluations, meetings and meeting his teaching. We drove by it often when we were out doing errands and always pointed it out. Andrew became obsessed with school busses and spots one every time we are in the car.
The big day finally came. He was super excited to get ready and get out the door. (a little disappointed he couldn't ride the bus for a few days, but as soon as we pulled into the parking lot, he was ecstatic) It was at that same moment when I saw the busses lined up and the huge long line of cars in the carpool lane that I broke down in tears. Realizing that our life now revolves around a school schedule and calendar. That I won't have my little guy by my side all hours of the day. Who knows what kinds of kids would be in his class and would he make friends? What behaviors is he going to learn? All of these and many more thoughts flooded into my mind. But as quickly as they came. I had to dismiss them and wipe away the tears so I could walk him in to find his teacher.
He was in heaven and loved watching all the other children, finding his name on his locker, meeting all his teachers and exploring his classroom. Then it came time for mommy to leave and he was pretty distraught. I could hear him crying all the way down the hall as I walked away and again my heart broke.
It was pretty lonely the first few days he was gone. I really didn't know what to do with myself. I had to keep the tv on in the other room, just so it wouldn't be so quiet. But I'm amazed at how much I'm able to get done in the mornings. I'd forgotten.
We now are used to the school routine...just in time for summer. Up, ready and out the door by 7:30 and home by 11:30. Having the bus come to our front door is the most incredible service ever! I love it. I also love when I hear it pull up in the afternoon and I run out to greet him. One of my most favorite parts of the day is when he gets off the bus and we come inside for lunch. We sit down next to each other and he tells me all about his adventures at preschool.
No comments:
Post a Comment