4.24.2015

Our trip to Utah

Since we didn't make it to see my family over the holidays, we decided to head to Utah over my birthday in February! I couldn't think of a better way to spend my birthday then with my family! I was a little nervous traveling with three kids. We did it and we survived...barely.

The way out there was crazy. Andrew did great and since we had a later flight, he fell asleep halfway through the 4 1/2 hour flight. The girls did okay. Whoever was in my lap was either happy or sleeping. Whoever was with Stephen seemed to be crying. The hardest part is that both Stephen and I have to be on separate rows on the plane. Only one lap child can be on each row because they only have one extra oxygen mask on each row. Who knew? We switched the girls once during the flight, but it didn't seem to make a difference. You wouldn't believe how grateful I was to step off that plane and see family. My brother and his kids even came to greet us at the airport,even though it was late (10:00 pm mst)


We had a blast introducing these girls to all their cousins, aunts and uncles! Everyone wanted to hold a baby...good thing there were two and the sharing and wait time was cut in half. We were spoiled to death by all the hands and help!















We played so hard while we were there.
For my birthday, we got babysitters and went to dinner with just the adults! It was great! My family also held their family council that evening after dinner. We've done this for years. It's always in February sometime and we usually join the evening via Skype or a conference call.  This year the family waited until we were out there and it just happened to be on my birthday. It was the first time in 7-8 years that we've had all of us kids and our spouses together in person for the family council. It was perfect!

Stephen was only able to take a few days off from work so while he was there we decided to meet up with his two siblings and their spouses who also live in Utah and do a little night skiing at Brighton Resort. We were a little worried there wouldn't be much snow with all the warm days they had, but it ended up being the best night skiing I've ever had. It wasn't too cold and they had just gotten some wonderful new snow. Plus there was nobody there or at least it felt like it. Stephen and I spent the first half of the evening teaching everyone how to ski on the bunny hill then we braved the big lifts and were able to enjoy some great runs down the hill. I hadn't been skiing in years, but it came back and I realized how much I love and miss it and living close to the mountains.


After Stephen left, I spent a whole other week with my family. It was wonderful and included....

Lots of Grandma and Grandpa time. With Stephen gone, I relied a lot on the help of my family, especially my parents.







Over nighter with the Southard's and an update on all my neices and all they are involved in. So crazy these girls are teenagers, dating graduating and involved in so many things!


Late night run for Sonic drinks (which sadly we don't have in Georgia) and french fries WITH my favorite Utah Fry Sauce!



A temple date with my sister to the newly rededicated Ogden, Utah Temple. It had been a long time since I've been to a Utah temple. I've forgotten how BIG those sessions are. The Ogden temple was simply beautiful and breathtaking how they've redone everything. I loved spending that time in the temple and being with my sister Camille.


Family night at Boondocks, where we enjoyed a little bowling competition. Sadly Andrew didn't quite grasp the whole concept of bowling. He was done after two or three rounds. But we had a fun time none-the-less.
Trying to carry the ball "by myself mommy"

Getting ready to start! He was really excited at the beginning!


My cute nieces Megan, Kayla and I


This about sums up how Andrew felt about bowling by the end!

So we walked around and he was fascinated by the driving cars in the arcade section

Seeing lots of old friends. Sadly no pictures, but my good friend Jacki got married and I was able to meet up with some wonderful friends from back in the day at her wedding.  Then my dear high school friend Kasey stopped by my parents house for a bit.

Swimming with cousins at the awesome rec center in Bountiful!


Pedicure with the girls. This would be Olivia's and Kathryn's first time at a nail salon. No polish for them, but I'm sure it won't be long.

It snowed about 6-8 inches one morning and Andrew had never played in snow before. Since it was a nice warm afternoon, We make-shifted a few snow clothes and I took him out to play. My dad decided to join us and help us make a awesome snowman and trails in the snow. Andrew's favorite part was when I showed him that he could eat the snow....haha it was hilarious he couldn't get enough and said it was "Deee-licious"


 Trying to eat the snow

 Success

Getting warm by the fire after being outside!

Lunch date for my sister Melinda's birthday with all my sisters and my mom.

Oh and always a favorite....a trip to the ER. Yeah, Andrew accidently split his head open when he fell one Sunday afternoon.  That evening we headed in and seven staples later the huge gouge in his head was closed up.

What you don't see is the bloody mess his nice Sunday shirt had all down the back. (He wouldn't let me take it off) But he was a brave little guy and didn't cry a bit when they put the staples in with no numbing cream either.

Eating at some of my favorite Utah places, Cafe Rio, Kneaders and Paradise Bakery.

Dance party with Aunt Melinda and cousins

Lots of play time with cousins
 Austin & Andrew were trying out cousin Nathan's Trumpet!

Playing cars in the Southards big basement (Andrew now thinks everyone who has a basement has cars like this) 

Kathryn laughing with cousin Jenna!

Playing Princesses with Cousin Emma

Playing McDonald's Restaurant with Cousin Megan

 Cousin Logan with the girls. He was so darling and would always try to make them happy and smile. So sweet! 

Eating a little Aggie Ice Cream at the kids table

Hanging out with Aunt Melinda and Cousin Michael before bedtime!

Since Andrew is a fanatic about cars, it was fun to show him my dad's old model A car. If the weather was nicer I'm sure we could have gone for a spin...maybe next time.




Playdough with Grandma and cousin Parker


The trip home was also an exciting one! My sweet mom bought a ticket to help me fly back with the kids since Stephen was already back in Georgia. The unfortunate part was that we spent 8 hours in the airport with three little kids because our flight kept getting delayed...finally we called my dad to come and get us and we got on another flight the next morning. It was super crazy, stressful and such a LONG day to then have to get up the next morning and do it again. Grateful the airline was able to give us diapers, formula and car seats for the kids as they were all on the plane and packed in bags.  I didn't want to wait another hour for them to shuffle through and find it.  My poor mother took it in stride and was such a wonderful help. I couldn't have done it without her. She had Olivia on the plane the next morning and she ended up sleeping the entire flight. Not sure if she'll ever offer to do that again, but we made it and she was able to spend a few days out here before turning around and heading back home.

I've had my fill with traveling with kids, but Andrew keeps asking when we can go back to Utah.  He loved all the attention from all his cousins and everyone. To make me even more homesick, he asks if we can move to Utah too. Good thing it won't be long and we'll be back this summer!!




1 comment:

Kasey and Jim said...

So glad I made the blog! Sad that we didn't think to take a picture! And I'm also glad that someone else updates their blog as sporadically as I do! :)