7.08.2008

Swimming Pool to Cement

One of our big projects this summer is to put in a backyard. Although we don't have a very big one...this is still a big job and we are learning lots along the way. Thanks to the knowledge and skills of my dad, we were able to extend our patio and pour some cement this past week. We've learned so much about how it all works and spent many hours digging, raking tons of rocks, screeding, and putting in the forms all to get ready for the cement. A few days prior to pouring we needed to water the ground to keep it moist. Well one day Stephen surprised me and got off work early. He decided to take me to lunch and a movie. As we were sitting in the middle of the movie, I realized I had forgotten to turn the water off in the backyard. We quickly rushed home afterwards and found a swimming pool had literally formed. We had about 4 inches of standing water. We couldn't believe our eyes and quickly tried to dig some ditches out each side to drain it. We had a good laugh and we're glad that we weren't pouring for a couple of days so it could dry out a little. I would have to admit I was really excited to finally get some cement in. (Ten years ago I think it was pretty weird to get excited over something like that. It's interesting how our priorities change) My Dad and Brother-in-Law Mike came down and helped us. It was a hot morning and we...well the guys worked really hard. We are continuing to water it and it's looking great...So long to our one time swimming pool and onto the next project of sprinklers! Here's a few pictures. Enjoy!
We're working quickly before the cement drys!
Here's Stephen getting the cement from the mixer!
YEA! We did it!

No comments: