1.25.2012

Monday of all Mondays

It was just one of those days.
Really no excuses.
My Monday's are usually busy, but this Monday...we had a few extra things on the calendar.
Our morning started out as most mornings do around our house. Andrew (a.k.a. our alarm clock) was up at his usual 6:00 am, took a bottle and we went about his morning routines. Then down for his morning nap around 8am, so he can catch an hour or so of sleep before we head out the door to his therapy appointment. I got him all packed up and in the car. We were actually on time and ready to go. I start the car and realize that the combination of recent snow storms, salty roads, bad windshield wipers and no wiper fluid was a bad combo to drive the 30 minutes each way to and from the appointment. So as a quick fix, I decide to hop out and grab an old rag and windex. Surely this will help and we can make it safely to our destination. As I go to get back in the car, my heart drops....really? I didn't...oh my goodness...I did.

The car is running and all the doors are LOCKED! There was Andrew happy as can be and thank goodness oblivious to the whole situation. We of course only had one other set of keys to the car and they were with Stephen at work. I quickly rushed to the phone to see if he could rescue us. Thankfully he wasn't in a meeting and could get away. How grateful I am his work is only 15 minutes away from our house. Those were some long, helpless 15 minutes. All I could do was pace around the car helplessly and play a little peek-a-boo to keep Andrew happy.
Frazzled that I had just locked my baby in the car and now no longer on time. I kissed Stephen goodbye and headed out. As soon as I got on the interstate, I looked down and saw that the gas needle was pointing directly at empty. Uuuggghhh! I didn't have time for this! Knowing that Andrew's therapy was about 20 miles away, I knew I could make it there, but would need to fill up before heading home.

After therapy we found a gas station close by. I grab the diaper bag and search for my wallet. It was nowhere to be found and I realize it's sitting at home upstairs on our desk. Once again I called Stephen. "How far can I go when the gas light is on empty?". His reply..."oh Emily". I could just see the look on his face by the tone in his voice. I had no choice. I surely didn't want to run out of gas along the freeway. I also was hoping I wouldn't have to call Stephen again needing another rescue, because he had meetings scheduled for all afternoon. With a little prayer in my heart I started out for home and luckily we made it home safe and sound.

To top it all off, that evening we were having some friends over for dinner and a little FHE. Rushing to get dinner ready with a baby who's whining and really needing to be entertained. I sliced my finger open pretty badly cutting up some chicken. Ouch! Then, as we were waiting for everybody to come, one of our called friends us with car trouble and was stranded about a mile away from our home. Poor thing she was so frazzled and didn't know what to do. I felt terrible and had to get her car towed. Once again Stephen to the rescue!

I was soooo glad to get to bed that night. What a day! Lessons learned... 1. Never take a full tank of gas for granted. There is a feeling of safety and security by having a car full of gas. Never let it get down to empty!!!
2. Always turn your car off and take the keys with you when you get out. Just incase it has automatic locks. It will save you more time in the end.

1 comment:

Stefanie Hathaway said...

wow that was quite the day!!! Im glad its over- im stressed just thinking about it!