So for some reason, Columbus Day hasn't really been much of anything. Just another day, like all of the beautiful fall days in October. (I guess it's because, in Utah we don't get school or work off or anything.) Well, here in Chicagoland (yes that's what they call it out here.... Chicagoland...I tend to chuckle each time I hear that term. It reminds me of things like Candyland or Disneyland....but this is beside the point) Anyways, the 2nd Monday in October was much more of a "Holiday" then I would have guessed. All of the kids had a day off of school, some businesses were closed and there was a big parade downtown in the city. I also learned that, the second Monday in October, is the day that Canada celebrates Thanksgiving. We were invited by some friends here, who is from Canada, to join their family for their big feast and celebration.
The best part of the Columbus day for me was to be apart of a long family tradition in the Holden Family. Every year growing up, Stephen and his family would go with his grandparents up to a place called Rifle River. Ever since we were married, I heard about these traditions. Well this year, since we live much closer...we made the drive to Michigan for the weekend and made the trip with them. It was so beautiful. I loved all the bright colors we saw along the way. I've never seen such brilliant oranges on so many maple trees. Simply breath taking. We did the traditional picnic and saw the traditional sight of the swinging bridge and look out tower. It was a quick weekend with lots of driving. But it was great to be able to get away and see some beautiful sights with the Holden family. We had gorgeous and unusually warm weather...you couldn't ask for more!
 |
| A beautiful view of the trees from the lookout tower. |
 |
| Benny's messy face from the Picnic. |
 |
| The gang...takin' a break. |
 |
| A Traditional picture of all the Holden Siblings |
 |
| A family Picture |
 |
| All the adults climbing the old tree |
1 comment:
If you want a break from the wind come see us in Grand Rapids, MI. Chicago looks fun though! Glad to see little Andrew is doing so well!
Post a Comment