It was such a surprise and my eyes nearly popped out of my head when the nurse told me last week that he'd be able to come home on Sunday. Sunday? Really? I certainly wasn't ready for this news and kind of panicked....in a good way. A combination of these boys being our first, them coming early before I could have any showers and moving to Chicago, I pretty much had nothing for this baby to come home to. Good thing for sisters who are generous to let me barrow a bunch of things. Stephen and I also went shopping Saturday morning and grabbed some necessities like...well uh diapers, bottles and such....a must with a little one. :) I just had to laugh at how we were shopping. We'd walk up and down the isle at the store and think...."oh yeah, we'd probably need some of this..." Other customers, must of had a good laugh or be complete confused at why we were acting this way.
On Friday, Stephen flew in and we drove straight up to the hospital, spent most of the day there meeting and talking with people. There was a huge checklist of things we had to complete before we could take him home. We had to meet with all sorts of people on his team, developmental therapist, dietitian, car seat squad, home healthcare specialist etc.
Before we could come home, all of us had to pass certain tests...
![]() |
- Andrew had to pass what they call his "car seat test". This is where they do some trial runs with him in his car seat while he's still attached to all of his monitors. They especially look to see if he can keep breathing while in the curved position a car seat puts him in. He passed this with flying colors!
- Since he was coming home with a NG feeding tube, both Stephen and I had to demonstrate competency in handling this. We had to learn how to check for placement, as well as practice putting it in. Poor Andrew...doesn't like this procedure at all. Both of us had to do it a few times before we felt comfortable with it. He was a trooper with his inexperienced mom and dad.
- The biggest of all the tests was that Stephen and I had to pass was to "Room-In" as they call it. Basically we packed our bags and had to spend 12 hours through the night in a little room they have in the unit, with just us doing everything for him. No nurses. Just mom and dad. We went from 8pm Saturday night to 8am Sunday morning and pretended that we were at home. This was our time to ask questions and work out all the bugs, with his oxygen monitors we'd have at home and all the medications we'd be giving him etc. Here's a picture I snapped early in the morning and yup....that's Stephen crashed on the couch. We basically camped out on the couch/floor while Andrew was still in his little crib. We survived the night with very little sleep. I think the nurses thought that Stephen slept the whole night, because we had to call them in every 3 hours after doing his "cares". They would take his diaper and weigh it and get all the other measurements that we'd do for them, so they could chart the info. Each time they came in Stephen was sound asleep. But what they didn't know was that he'd get up during the in-between times to keep Andrew asleep so I could get an hour or two of sleep before he had to eat again. We were pretty tired after spending our first night with our boy, but the adrenalin was certainly rushing and keeping us wide awake.
It sure has been great to have him here and for us to finally be mommy and daddy round the clock and out of the hospital. It's almost surreal to have him home after such a long stay in the hospital.
| Enjoying some tummy time with daddy before he heads back to Chicago |
| Celebrating the 4th of July as a Family |
Welcome home Andrew!!! We LOVE you!


26 comments:
Congrats guys! How exciting! We pray that little Andrew keeps improving. that last picture of him is so cute! He looks great!
Oh my! What wonderful news! Oh, and he looks so plump and happy! Terrific!
Such fabulous news!! Good luck!! I know y'all will be wonderful parents!!!
Wow, can't hold back the tears now. I'm SO so happy for you! Andrew looks almost as though he has a faint smile on his face in this picture - so precious. Congrats on being at home!!! SO excited for you!!!!
Oh my goodness, what great news!! I'm so glad you get to have him home! We're so happy for you guys!
OH MY GOODNESS!!! SOOOOOOO happy for you all and little Andrew!!!! What a fantastic surprise- and a little miracle :) Congrats to you both and I know y'all are absolutely wonderful parents. He is SO adorable!!! what a sweet face :)
What a great blessing to get to have him home so soon! Congratulations! And what a miracle that Steven was there to be part of it. Thanks for posting--keep us updated. We are all still praying for you and your sweet little Andrew!
I am sooooo happy for you! Have so much fun with your precious little cutie...AT HOME!
Oh I got goose bumps reading your post!! I'm so grateful Andrew is home and doing well! :)
This is exciting news!! yeah!! Enjoy!
This is so wonderful! He is so cute! I am very happy for you guys!
I am so happy for you guys!! He looks so healthy!
Congrats!! So happy for you!!!
Oh I am SOOO happy. Yay for the wonderful mom and dad.
Wow! That's the happiest I've felt all week!!! Such great news! I'm so happy for you guys. Good luck with everything :)
What a sweet, beautiful boy! With that smile on his face....he must be thinking about Ethan! I'm sure his brother is watching over him. I'm so happy for you! What a wonderful time! Enjoy!!
That is so exciting!!! We are so happy for you! He is so beautiful!
Oh my goodness I am so happy for you!!!!!!!! I would like to talk to you so I'll give you a call!
Oh my goodness I am so happy for you!!!!!!!! I would like to talk to you so I'll give you a call!
We are excited and happy for all of you! Be sure to give cuddles to Andrew for us! Much love all around!
Hooray!!! Congrats!
That is such wonderful news! We are so happy for you. I hope all continues to go well. Love you guys! - Elise & Erik
YEAH! I'm so happy you have him home. The last photo is adorable!!!
Hooray! I am sooooo very happy for you! YAY!!!
this is the best post EVER!!!
congratulations to you three!! you've been through so much and i am so so happy to see that adorable and chunky-looking little andrew home with you!
How wonderful! He is so darling with a little chub on him. :) Congrats and you all continue to be in my prayers.
Post a Comment