At times it is very difficult to go back into the same hospital where we've gone everyday the past 3 months and realize that Ethan is no longer there. The past few weeks, Stephen and I have also had to learn how to share. We both want to do everything for Andrew. We're used to doing their cares at the same time and each taking one of the boys. It's funny to realize that now we're having to learn to take turns.
Many people have asked us... "How are you doing?" Well, this questions has been undoubtedly difficult to truthfully answer ever since the boys were born. Most days, I'm doing great. I really am. I have gained a greater testimony of how the spirit is a comforter to us, especially during such difficult trials. This is really what has sustained me the past two weeks. We've had some really sweet and sacred moments, where little things seem to reassure me that Ethan is near and we are loved. I have needed those and am very grateful for them. As much as I hurt and long for Ethan, I would say that my love for Andrew has grown even sweeter. I'll be honest though, I do have my moments and I do break down. But I am grateful for the times in between.
Just a quick update on our little Andrew. He has really made some amazing improvements and I just know his brother is by his side helping him. His surgery for the shunt went really well and so far everything is looking great. It's releasing the pressure and doing what it needs to. Yea!!! This is everything we could have hoped for and you can tell that he's feeling so much better. With that said, Stephen and I are both a bit nervous and continue to pray that there are no more infections.
| Here's Andrew right after his surgery...He's not quite sure about everything |
With all that eating, Andrew's really starting to gain some weight and is now at 5lb 9oz. He's also starting to show us he can smile. They are the "asleep, gas bubbles in the tummy" smiles...but I tend to think that he's dreaming of Ethan, which brings a smile to his face and to mine. :) He had a lot of visitors who came to see him while they were here in Utah for Ethan's funeral. We loved sharing him with his Uncles and Grandparents!
![]() | ||
| Grandma Holden Getting a Turn To Give Luvs |
| Uncle Matt got a chance to hold him too! |
Happy Father's Day Daddy!
![]() |
| From a very sleepy boy!!! |


11 comments:
I'm so glad you posted. It must be hard to write after everything that has happened. I'm so glad to hear that you have had sweet and sacred moments with Ethan, and I believe as well that he is near his brother (coming from a twin perspective, I can testify that there is such a bond between twins--so I know Ethan will always be close to and watching over his brother!)
I love the pictures of Andrew. He looks so great! We're still praying for you, especially with Stephen gone now, and praying that soon you can be together as a family!
Emily- Thanks for the update. I left you a message on your email because I was out of town for Ethan's funeral. Let me know if you still can access email. You're in my prayers daily.
I know it's tough all the way around, but especially now that Stephen has to be in Illinois. Time does help the healing, but you still have to live through the interim. Know that we continue to hold you all in prayer and accept our long distance hugs till we can give them to you in person!
Thanks for posting - we've been anxious to hear how sweet Andrew is doing, and it's so good to hear and see the progress he's making. He looks great!! I'm glad we were able to see and hug you last week, too - you have been through so much. I didn't even think how hard it would be to now have to share one baby when you and Stephen have each been able to have one to yourselves. What an adjustment. You both are amazing - and I wish you both luck as Stephen now starts his new job so far away!
Holdens,
Just want you to know we continue to pray for you. We think of you often. Hang in there!
The Stuarts
Oh my heart aches to think of hOw you miss your Ethan. We pray for you and it is a joy to see Andrew getting some chubby!! Thanks for updating!!!
He's so dang cute, Em! And look how chunky. That's so great!
It was so great to see you,twice.
Debbie
WOW! You have been through SO much! I have learned a lot from seeing how you've dealt with such hard trials! Truly, I feel very connected with all of this. I cried a LOT at the funeral. I'm glad that Andrew is doing better, and I hope that Steve's Job is wonderful for him! I'm glad too that you are able to be with family if not Steve for a while. We love you guys, and wish you well :)
My parents said that they were able to see you and your parents at Stake Conference. They said that they were surprised how together you have it and from reading this I agree. You are amazing Emily and I know that is why the Lord has blessed you with such special children, even though one had to return to him early. I am glad that you are keeping things posted though. Best of luck and hopefully you get to go out with Stephen soon.
I'm not a big commenter on blogs, but just wanted to let you know that we've been following your blog very regularly lately and that it has brought regular tears to my eyes too. Just know there's yet another family thinking about you guys, whatever it's worth.
Camshaft
What a cute baby! And a wonderful Father's day post!
Post a Comment