So I didn't realize that there were worse challenges than meningitis and blood infections. This morning they discovered the dreaded NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis) in Ethan -- not uncommon (I think incidence is about 10%), but unfortunately it is throughout his entire intestinal system. NEC occurs when blood does not profuse well enough in his intestines, leading to infection and necrosis of the tissue. Usually it is localized, I guess. In this case it is a more severe and immediate threat to his life than either the blood infection or meningitis, although it almost certainly was caused because his body has focused on fighting those other infections rather than digest food.
The good news is that he does not yet have a perforation (, and even though the tissue is sick and possibly dying, tests are showing that its most likely not yet dead (although the only way to be sure is to surgically open him and look). It is possible that it might resolve with his antibiotics. We likely will know within a couple days either way. Right now its a wait and see how the infections respond to the antibiotics. We should have some more information tomorrow.
I know you are all praying for my boys. Thank you. Andrew had a stable day today, thank goodness.
7 comments:
I'm afraid I have been a "shadow reader" too, Jenn. Tonight I decided, Emily and Stephen, that if y'all were strong and kind enough to post for all of us, then I should not be shy and comment back to y'all on this forum. Chuck and I send you hugs. We've been praying the whole time and will be praying extra in this additional crisis. Our hearts go out to all of you, the boys and both of you. I wish we could do or say something to bring you comfort. God is great, God is good. We love you.
Em, my heart goes out to all of you. These sweet boys are fighting so hard and yet keep facing horrific challenges, more than any of us could ever imagine. I'm so sorry that there isn't more positive to outweigh the negative. I'm still holding out that that will be the case someday. Thanks for your examples of amazing strength.
Steven and Emily, we love you so much, and are praying hard for you and for your precious sons. That is really all we can do. Only God can affect the outcome, and His will will be done, regardless of what we may want or hope for. Please know how much we love you, and hope and pray for the best.
I prayed all day yesterday for your boys. I can see the Salt Lake Temple from my desk at work(when one of the administrators has his door open)so I decided that every time I saw the temple, I would pray for your boys. He had his door open most of the day--so they were prayed for multiple times!! I know that God has them (and both of you) in His hands, and that He will help you through this difficult time! (Isaiah 41:10; 1 Nephi 21:14-16)
Please tell these babies that they are too wanted and too loved to be giving their parents all this grief! Tell them to accept the antibiotics and quit having setbacks. I am ready for some good news!
I don't know you well, but wanted you to know that we are thinking of you. Ben and I and our boys are praying for your little guys. Even with the scary and not great news on your blog I could feel the love you have for Ethan and Andrew and the love Heavenly Father has for you. Hang in there. What a trying journey.
Love,
Cassi Capell
We love you and as so many others have said, we will continue to pray for you and your little guys. They can do this, they have shown they are fighters. So have the two of you. The Lord is with you.
Debbie Dunford
Post a Comment