5.15.2011

Some Great Surprises

I've had a few surprises this week...both of which are fantastic. I've been looking forward to these moments for a very long time, but both came to be a bit of a surprise! The first was last Wednesday. I was heading into the hospital that evening with my mom and Andrew's nurse asked if I wanted to help her bathe him! We just happened to be there during their bath hour, so of course I jumped at the chance. It was a bit intimidating to help...even with the nurse coaching me.  He's still so incredibly tiny and fragile. It was just a sponge bath of course, and I was definitely a rookie and a bit slow. He got pretty excited and didn't like getting wet. He was trying to cry and arching his back, but being intubated you can't hear anything. We got him all cleaned up and his diaper changed and then I helped her weigh him.  It was such a sweet moment I'll treasure and luckily my mom was with me that night and snapped a few pictures.We just happened to have some good timing that night.
Trying to Calm Andrew before his bath

Helping the nurse weigh him for the night

Giving him his bath!!!
Then a few days later they put him on the CPAP. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him breathing and everything was out of his mouth. It was a first, and he was doing really well with it. They asked me if I wanted to hold him. I was in a little shock and didn't realize they'd let me so soon. I needed to leave soon. So I told them I'd come first thing the next morning. I felt like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning. It just couldn't come soon enough!!! They let me hold him in my arms (because of the CPAP mask) They bundled him all up in blankets with all his wires and IV cords and laid him in my arms. They put a bunch of warm blankets on top and with his CPAP mask and hat all I could really see of his face were his cheeks. I was okay with that. I stared at those cute little cheeks the whole time and still couldn't get enough. The biggest thing we had to worry about was him maintaining his body temperature and he did pretty good. The nurses kept checking his temperature every 15-20 minutes. He lasted for about an hour. We've waited for this day for a very long time. I just wished Stephen could have been there for these firsts. He's been out of town this last week for work. Enjoy the pictures!!!
Andrew and a very HAPPY mommy!

Here's our little guy all bundled up!

14 comments:

Katie said...

Emily, I'm so happy. What a joy to hold your son. I hope we get to meet someday, you seem like such a wonderful person. Good luck to you and your family, prayers are sent daily.
Best wishes,
Katie (Mason) Johnston
(Stephen's friend from Midland and Candice's sister)

Carissa Briggs said...

Emily! I am so happy to read this! I love the pictures. How wonderful. We are praying for you guys every day. Thanks for keeping us updated and for your wonderful examples.
Love,
Carissa and Justin

Danielle said...

oh my gosh! darling pictures. I'm so glad you got to hold him :-) I'm glad he is doing better.

Stacey said...

Oh Em, I'm so glad you got to hold your little boy. I'm glad to hear they are making progress. These little boys are definitely fighters!!

lynsey said...

this made me so happy! i've been reading all of your posts and i just think you & your husband are amazing people. i love and appreciate your perspective through this experience. he is beautiful! they both are. i'm praying that there are many more good moments along this journey for your miraculous little family.

pj said...

We are so happy for you!!!! You have lots of Texas prayers continuing to come your way!!! I'm so glad you finally got to hold Andrew!! I hope that it is the first of many times to come for both of them!!!!! Much love!

Andrea said...

Oh Emily!! That is so exciting! Love the pictures! We hope and pray that there will be many more moments like this!

Kasey and Jim said...

Yea! Yea! Yea!!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Caroline Zoccoli said...

Stephen and Emily

Guys, you are amazing !! Your little boys are the strongest ones ever and THE FIGHTERS !!! My family is rooting for you all and sending the warmest regards from Brazil !!!

Blaine Edwards said...

I'm so excited for you.

Marla B said...

oh good! now i hope we have a good update for Ethan! My thoughts are with you too emily! Keep up the blogging through the good and tough times.

Camille said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you got to do those things. I loved all the pictures of you with him.

Emilie said...

Oh yay!!! That's so exciting you got to hold him! I love all the pictures. Thanks so much for sharing!

Amanda and Jesse said...

This makes me cry... I'm so happy for you guys. I'm glad your getting to finally enjoy them a little. I know the journey is hard, but it's s nice of you two to share these moments with all of us who care about you and these kids so much. Hope all is well with the new job.