This kids was SO ready for school to start! Waiting that extra month seemed like FOREVER! For both him and myself! Although it was sure nice to have a break, with no therapy commitments, no doctors appointments, just living life! I've been super nervous as to how everything would look for him going into Kindergarten. He had a pretty ideal situation in Georgia as far as school looked and his IEP. So I was super nervous knowing that his new school wouldn't have what he needed. The first day the office opened, I was right there with files in hand....(they probably thought I was crazy) But once they understood the situation, they were super helpful. I had multiple meetings with the school before he even started. I've never been more grateful for my background in special ed, because a few of the things they were proposing seemed pretty ridiculous for Andrew. Plus tons of last minute stuff coming up... I think I had four conversations with the teacher about last minute things the day before he started.
Anyways, we got it all figured out...it isn't as ideal as he had in Georgia, but so far he seems to be doing okay. The hard part is this is just temporary as we finish out our time in coroporate housing, so we may have to go through this all again.
It also doesn't make it any easier to send him off on his first day of Kindergarten in a new school, with new teacher, when I'm sitting on an airplane. Yep. It just so happened that the first day of Kindergarten was the day Stephen and I left on a trip with my family that we'd been planning since February. My stomach was in knots worrying about this guy. It was so wonderful to be able to talk to him that evening.
Good thing Aunt Erin snapped a few pictures for me and text them to me!
We love this kid, but going into kindergarten is going to be a big jump for him! I'm excited as to what this year will bring!! Most days I still can't believe my little baby is a big kindergartener!!
No comments:
Post a Comment