7.11.2009

Five Foot Nine

Stephen always is giving me a hard time because I'm "taller" than him. But really it depends on the day and the shoes either of us are wearing. He's always saying he hopes our kids take after my side of the family, with the tall genes. Well, take a look at this! According to Harvard, I am at increased risk of cancer because I am tall. I'm not sure what I think about this...
I quote:

Being tall may raise your risk of colon cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer and pancreatic cancer. Scientists aren’t sure why. One reason may be that tall people have more cells in their bodies, which increases the number of cells that could become cancerous. Another reason may be that tall people grow faster as children. Faster growth is linked to changes in the genetic structure (DNA) of the body’s cells, eventually causing them to become cancerous.

Being tall also increased my chance of being a good basketball or volleyball player, but that sure didn't happen. I guess there are some advantages to being short!

No comments: